[libdvdcss-devel] Any way to improve brute force?

Christian Pernegger pernegger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:57:33 CET 2016

Hi,

I've recently embarked on ripping my DVDs to my NAS and (perhaps
foolishly) started by copying the VIDEO_TS directories, intending to
play from that or convert as needed. As it turns out this doesn't work
for all discs or even most, I get a lot of "libdvdread: Error cracking
CSS key for [...]". From what I've read this could maybe have been
avoided by a) having used libdvdcss directly on the disc (instead of a
directory) while b) having the correct region set on the drive.
This means that I would have to re-rip (I'd really rather not, the
last session took the better part of a day) and set a region on my
drive (meaning I'd sooner or later run out of changes).

My understanding was that libdvdcss would fall back to a brute force
"title" method if presented with data on a filesystem or an RPC2 drive
not set to the correct region. I'd have expected that process to take
some serious time, but it doesn't, it fails almost immediately (couple
of seconds at most). Is there any way to improve the title method,
e.g. give it more time or additional info?

Regards,
Christian