[libdvdcss-devel] xine fails to play dvds with libdvdcss 1.4.0

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Wed Oct 12 09:57:59 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 12/04/2016 06:36, Giacomo Comes wrote:
> xine does not play anymore dvds if libdvdcss 1.4.0 is installed.
>
> With libdvdcss 1 3.0 (and dvdread/dvdnav 5.0.3) xine plays regularly
> a dvd and shows this output in the terminal:
>
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
> libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
> libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
> libdvdnav: vm: dvd_read_name failed
> libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
>
> When I use libdvdcss 1.4.0 xine cannot play a dvd and in the terminal I get this message:
>
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 5.0.3
> libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
> libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
> libdvdread: Could not open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open <DVD>/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
> libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
>
> I bisected libdbdcss and I found the commit that causes the failure:
>
> commit 6b95108d3de1755beab102b3a02ca7ef02494bd1
> Author: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
> Date:   Fri Nov 14 11:15:12 2014 +0100
>
>     Clean up and simplify raw device support.
>
>     Treat access to raw devices just like accessing any other device instead of
>     providing different semantics. libdvdcss now tries raw devices on all OSes
>     and bails out instead of continuing if accessing a raw device failed.
>
> If I compile libdvdcss 1.4.0 reverting such commit, then xine works again.
>
> Giacomo

I had most probably a similar issue, /dev/rdvd was missing on my system.
I did not however try to bisect the git tree, I'm running plain 1.4.0.

I got ride of the issue by setting
""
media.dvd.raw_device:/dev/sr0
""
in the ~/.xine/config file.

I guess creating /dev/rdvd or symlinking it to a device that exists
should work too.

Does a similar trick help for you ?

You can get more logs from libdvdcss by setting DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2 prior
to running xine.

Regards,
Xavier