[mpris] MPRIS Ruby Gem

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:30:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Nicholas J Humfrey <njh at aelius.com> wrote:
> Hello,
Hello !

>  I have been working on a Ruby Gem to make it easy to control Media
>  Players using MPRIS. It uses ruby-dbus to do the hard work. It is very
>  much work in progress, but I have some documentation online here:
>
>  http://mpris.rubyforge.org/

That's really nice, thanks.

>  I have found a few bugs in VLC as a result, including pausing freezing
>  the interface subsystem and a rounding error in setting the volume:
>  https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1559
>  https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1561

I'll have a look asap.

>  Is MPRIS being using by anyone at the moment? I saw this bit of
>  python, is there anything else out there?

It's being used by VLC, Audacious, BMPx and DragonPlayer, for the
server side, and by pidgin-mpris, gnome-music-applet and libmpris for
the client side.

>  Also, is there currently a way of jumping to starting playing a
>  specific item on the track list?

Nice catch, the spec lacks such a method, it should be proposed for
addition in v 1.1

>  ps. I bought mpris.org, so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Thanks a lot !

--
Mirsal Ennaime