[mpris] MPRIS Ruby Gem

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 00:44:07 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:01 +0100, Nicholas J Humfrey wrote:
> >> I have found a few bugs in VLC as a result, including pausing
> >> freezing
> >> the interface subsystem and a rounding error in setting the volume:
> >> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1559
> >> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/1561
> >
> > I'll have a look asap.
>
> I have spotted a new other problems, should I report them all on trac?

Yes, that would be nice.

> - Quit method should be in root object, not the Player object
> - Sending play message when playing should rewind, it currently
> crashes VLC's control subsystem.
> - /TrackList/GetMetadata is supposed to number tracks from 0, VLC is
> currently numbering them from 1. Indeed if you request metadata for
> track 0, it crashes VLC.
> - /Player/GetStatus is returning large integer numbers for looping and
> random status.

Thanks a lot for reporting, I'll take a look on these ones as soon as I
can (I'm really busy these days)

> I am thinking of writing a test suite in Ruby to check a Media Player
> for  MPRIS v1.0 compliance, good idea?

That's a good idea, I wrote a (now outdated) test suite in python but it
was for an earlier version of the spec.

> Another request for version 1.1 of the specification is listing the
> standard key names for the metadata dictionaries.  The ones I am
> seeing from VLC are:

Actually it's already in as an annex here:
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/MPRIS_Metadata

> {"status"=>1,
>   "artist"=>"Mistys Big Adventure",
>   "URI"=>"/Users/njh/Music/fashion_parade.mp3",
>   "title"=>"Fashion Parade - Instrumental",
>   "date"=>"0",
>   "length"=>222187,
>   "description"=>"                            ",
>   "genre"=>"<Unknown>",
>   "album"=>"Fashion Parade",
>   "tracknum"=>"5"}
>
> What is the 'status' key?