[mpris] suggested additions to the MPRIS spec

Mirsal ENNAIME mirsal.ennaime at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:00:16 CET 2008

Hi,

On Jan 23, 2008 4:37 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> First off Dragon Player http://dragonplayer.org now implements all of
> the / and /Player parts of the MPRIS spec. It does not do /TrackList
> since it has no playlist. Could perhaps we put a note in the spec
> supporting this subset officially? Mostly just to let client writers
> know they should check for TrackList existence before assuming its
> there.

Actually, some time ago, we agreed on that non tracklist-based media
players should "emulate" a 1-item tracklist and use capabilities to
indicate they can't go next/previous and so.
The spec may lack a CAN_ADD_TRACKS capability or so.

However, the discussion is open, and making /TrackList optional is
also an option.

> I added a 'load' method to /Player. It plays the given URL
> immediately. For other players, this could be done with a combination
> of TrackList commands, but it's still handy. Its obviously essential
> for TrackList-less players. Could this be part of official spec as
> well?

The AddTrack method held by /TrackList takes a boolean argument that
indicates if the player should initiate playback as soon as the track
is added, so it won't be necessary unless we make /TrackList optional.

> Talking to funman, he mentioned it would make sense to have in the /
> root module, a method to return the version of the spec being
> implemented. For instance the current spec could be version 1.0. With
> the addition of the load method, that would be 1.1. We would only have
> a major version change (2.0) when backwards compatibility is broken by
> removing methods or changing method signatures (probably something we
> shouldn't ever do). Such a method would be common-sense
> future-proofing.

Yes, and beyond being a good idea, it's something necessary. We
planned to add such a thing as soon as the spec is versionned.

Regards,
--
Mirsal Ennaime