[mpris] [RFC] MprisVersion method

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Fri Mar 21 12:05:03 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 07:42 +0100, Mirsal Ennaime wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a huge mistake in the 1.0 specification:
> The MprisVersion method returns an argument of type "f" which does NOT
> exist in D-Bus.

Nice spot :)

> As I can safely assume that nobody has fully implemented the 1.0 version
> yet, I propose to change it from:
>
> <method name="MprisVersion">
>     <arg type="f" direction="out"/>
> </method>
>
> to:
>
> <method name="MprisVersion">
>     <arg type="(ddd)" direction="out"/>
> </method>

DBus spec 0.12 says 'd' is a 64 bits double I think you meant 'q' ?
(whose who ignore history will repeat it !!!)

> Which is a struct of three DBUS_UINT16:
>  * The first one is the major version number
>  * The second one is the minor version number
>  * The third one is the revision number
>
> I also propose to change the first versionned specification from 1.0 to 0.1.0

I do agree

> We should later agree on a strict policy for API changes.

I think we should do that soon.

> Please comment, Thanks.

I propose:

API addition : revision change
API modification (signature change) : minor change

Wide acceptance/implementation : major change

--
Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>