[mpris] [RFC] MPRIS2 Release Candidate

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Aug 9 22:33:58 CEST 2010

Le lundi 9 août 2010 22:06:52 Zeeshan Ali, vous avez écrit :
>   Sorry to jump in the middle of this discussion but talking of new/better
> D-Bus spe, I was wondering if its possible to add the following two
> properties to Player interface:
>
> * mime-types: List of mime-types supported by the player
> * protocols: List of protocols (e.g HTTP, RTSP etc) supported by the player

Oh please no. This is never going to work. This is too simplistic to really
work: what extensions to the MPEG4 file format does this player handle? can it
select PIDs in TS? what codecs is supported in which container? which version
and dialects of RTSP does it talk? which RTP payload formats does it parse?
etc etc.

At the same time, this is too complicated to implement by any non trivial
player framework. Things like xine-lib, gst or libvlc conver a number of
underlying libraries and versions thereof, with so many combinations. I am not
aware of libavformat providing such a list, for a start.

Plus, the namespace would be a huge mess. Normally URI schemes and MIME types
*MUST* be registered with IANA. For MIME types, vnd and prs are the only
allowed exception. How do you handle things like say, V4L2 and DirectShow
inputs? There are no standards for the URI format even.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary