[mpris] MPRIS v2.1

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 19 02:01:11 CEST 2010

On Wed, 18.08.10 17:48, Alex Merry (kde at randomguy3.me.uk) wrote:

>  The Ubuntu folk want a list of (some of) the playlists available
> from a media player for their sound menu.  We ditched the version of
> this in the draft of the spec, because of some scalability problems.
>
> I've implemented an optional interface that MPRIS servers can
> implement, and called the combined thing mpris v2.1 (which is
> obviously completely compatible with v2.0).
>
> The spec is at http://www.randomguy3.me.uk/mpris, and the relevant
> interface is http://www.randomguy3.me.uk/mpris/Playlists.html.

"Playlists" vs. "TrackList" is weird. Isn't "playlist" and "tracklist"
kinda the same thing? Shouldn't this be "TrackList" and
"TrackListManager" or so? Or "TrackListEnumerator"?

but tbh i find the whole object model flawed if you take multiple
playlists into account. Because then you want multiple objects which
implement TrackList and a root object which allows you to find the
various TrackList objects.

> Note that, since D-Bus doesn't have a way of getting a list of
> implemented interfaces (other than parsing the introspection), the
> only way to check for this interface is to try to get a property on
> it.  We could introduce a property on the root interface that gives
> a list of implemented interfaces (like telepathy does), or we could
> just leave it like it is and push the D-Bus guys to provide a way to
> list interfaces.

Why not add HasTrackListEnumerator akin to HasTrackList?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.