[mpris] Playlist extension observations

Conor Curran conor.curran at canonical.com
Fri Dec 10 16:35:47 CET 2010

Hey folks,

Following what was previously suggested, Bertrand and I  have
implemented the proposed playlist extension. Here are a list of
modifications which I think are necessary inorder to make this
production ready.

    * GetPlaylists should allow for it to be called in an async manner.
      This can be achieved by passing in a pointer to a
      PlaylistDetails[]  ( PlaylistDetails being a struct of ObjectPath,
      string (name) and string (icon path)). Or we could add  a new
      callback ?
    * A new method GetCurrentPlaylist ( also accommodating async usage )
      should be added. This would be useful for clients that come up and
      down and hence need to query the server (media player) when
      starting up to sync properly. If there is no active playlist, it
      should return a PlaylistDetail with each member set to null ?
    * A new signal to inform that the current active playlist has changed.
          o This could also cover the situation where the playlist has
            ended and no other playlist has begun in which case the
            returned playlist details struct should contain null members.

Thoughts ?

Conor

Conor