[mpris] Playlist extension observations

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Dec 10 20:19:39 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 13:17, Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2010 12:41:23 Ian Monroe wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:12, Conor Curran
> <conor.curran at canonical.com>wrote:
>> >  I just did some research on the vala dbus async api. It looks as if
>> >  the
>> >
>> > good vala people have taken care of the async behaviour. Therefore the
>> > GetPlaylists can pretty much stay the same.
>>
>> How can vala people take care of the async behavior? A d-bus api that is
>> sync is sync, nothing a dbus binding can change about that. Your initial
>> reasons for needing async are unclear to me, perhaps this is why I'm
>> confused.
>
> No, D-Bus is inherently asynchronous.

You are correct of course, but we can still talk about sync and async
D-Bus apis. If it takes a really long time for a function to return,
it can time-out and such. So if that's a possibility you'd want to
have a "async" api with a request method and a signal to give the
results.

I don't really see that being an issue here, though its something to
think about.

Ian