[mpris] Playlist extension observations

Conor Curran conor.curran at canonical.com
Mon Dec 13 10:13:28 CET 2010

Hi,
> No, D-Bus is inherently asynchronous.  I think the issue Conor was having was
> purely with the bindings he was using, which were making the calls
> synchronous.  Talking about "pointers" in the context of a D-Bus spec is a
> sure sign of confusion between D-Bus interfaces and bindings.
Indeed I was confused, we had our xmas party on Thursday night and might
have been a little worse for wear Friday morning. It wasn't until later
on in the day that I realised that I was looking at things in the wrong
way and hence my initial email was incorrect with regards the
particulars of DBus interaction. Moving on ...
> I think we should have a CurrentPlaylist property, rather than a method, and
> then PropertyChanged can be used to notify of changes.
Sounds good.
> Also, note this comment in the ActivatePlaylist documentation:
>> It is up to the media player whether this completely replaces the current
>> tracklist, or whether it is merely inserted into the tracklist and the first
>> track starts. For example, if the media player is operating in a "jukebox"
>> mode, it may just append the playlist to the list of upcoming tracks, and
>> skip to the first track in the playlist.
> So there's no guarantee that CurrentPlaylist will change when ActivatePlaylist
> is called, or that it will even be set to a sensible value.  Speaking of
> which, CurrentPlaylist needs to have a way of indicating "no current
> playlist".  That could either be returning a playlist strict with empty fields,
> or (and I think this is cleaner), returning an error message.

Error message is fine. Which ever you prefer.

Watching the CurrentPlaylist property should replace the requested
signal (ActivePlaylistChanged). So unless I'm missing something that
should take care of the lot.

Conor