[mpris] DesktopEntry shortcomings

Conor Curran conor.curran at canonical.com
Wed Dec 22 18:29:32 CET 2010

Hey all,

I was wondering what the reason was for the DesktopEntry property on the
root interface to be
"the basename of an installed .desktop file which complies with the
Desktop entry specification, with the ".desktop extension stripped".

Why shouldn't it be the full path to the desktop file including the
extension ?

The reason I ask this is that I found while doing my development that
the assumption that all desktop file paths are in the same directory is
incorrect. Take for instance Amarok, on Ubuntu its desktop file lives in
/usr/share/applications/kde4 while all others I have come across live in
the parent directory.
Inorder to allow clients work with the sound menu I need access  to
their desktop file. Not really quite so sure why I need to jump through
these hoops (placing the extension on the end of a concatenated path and
attempting to load from two different locations) each time a client pops
up.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Furthermore why isn't it mandatory to define the DesktopEntry property?
It's not like its something that any application could be bothered with.
Allows for proper context to be communicated between server and client.

Thoughts ?

Conor

--
Sound Architect