[mpris] DesktopEntry shortcomings

mirsal at mirsal.fr mirsal at mirsal.fr
Thu Dec 23 15:51:46 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2010 15:38:24 mirsal at mirsal.fr wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Conor Curran
>> > Why shouldn't it be the full path to the desktop file including the
>> > extension ?
>>
>> About the full path, I believe it is not needed as desktop
>> environments provide desktop entry lookup facilities which make use of
>>  cascading mechanisms.
>>
>> Besides, media players are not necessarily aware of the exact
>> filesystem location of a relevant desktop entry, and I believe it is
>> much better to let the desktop environment manage that.
>>
>> It looks like you are right about the extension, though.
>
> But in this case, client can easily add .desktop to the value they get, right?
> So there's no particular advantage in changing it.

I'd say it is not critical, but the desktop entry spec states that:

"Desktop entry files should have the .desktop extension, except for
files of Type Directory which should have the .directory extension.
Determining file type on basis of extension makes determining the file
type very easy and quick. When no file extension is present, the
desktop system should fall back to recognition via "magic detection"."

The "should" bothers me here (even if in practice it will probably
never be problematic)

--
Mirsal