[mpris] working on a 2.0 draft

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Jun 12 20:20:43 CEST 2010

On Thursday 20 May 2010 17:19:44 Mirsal Ennaime wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a few of you may know, unfortunate events IRL prevented me to do
> proper work in the field for the past two years.
> Having now recovered my ability to contribute to this project, I
> started working on a 2.0 draft specification, which you can
> find on my gitorious repository, here:
> git://gitorious.org/~mirsal/mpris/mirsal.git (this is still a work in
> progress, more on this later)

I was right in the middle of working out a potential 2.0 version of the spec
(although my changes were a lot more invasive) when I came across this.

The major problems I would like to see addressed:

* Incorrect use of D-Bus interfaces - the different objects should be different
interfaces, although they could still be on well-defined objects
* race conditions and ambiguity in the playback/pause state - Pause acts as a
Play/Pause toggle, which means that a client can't reliably ask the player to
enter pause mode unconditionally
* The only way to implement a useful position slider for the track is
currently to regularly call GetPosition, which is wasteful of resources.  More
sensible would be to implement the GetRate method suggested by Jean-Paul
Saman, and a signal to indicate when seeking has happened
* TrackList is inherently racy in many ways.  Use the modification methods is
perilous, particularly if the media player has something akin to Amarok's
dynamic playlists, where tracks will be regularly removed from the beginning
of the track list.

Besides that, if we want to keep the traffic for this mailing list at its
traditional low level, we probably want somewhere else to do this discussion.
http://xmms2.org/wiki/Talk:Media_Player_Interfaces is a possibility, although
maybe an IRC channel might be a good idea?

For anyone interested in what I came up with, the files (without the telepathy
docs) are at http://www.randomguy3.me.uk/mpris/.  The changes are probably too
drastic for most people's tastes, but there might be some ideas to be had from
there.

Alex