[mpris] working on a 2.0 draft

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Jun 12 23:09:31 CEST 2010

On Saturday 12 June 2010 20:41:07 you wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
> > * TrackList is inherently racy in many ways.  Use the modification
> > methods is perilous, particularly if the media player has something akin
> > to Amarok's dynamic playlists, where tracks will be regularly removed
> > from the beginning of the track list.
>
> Arguably track list modification is out of scope for MPRIS. I guess
> you agree since you took it out I believe?

Well, the files I posted were something of a work in progress.  I took them out
mainly because I had yet to work out a sensible way of putting them in while
avoiding race conditions.

However, I also can't think of a compelling reason to have such methods in
there, at least without a library interface.  And if we did include these
methods, they should definitely be optional.

> > For anyone interested in what I came up with, the files (without the
> > telepathy docs) are at http://www.randomguy3.me.uk/mpris/.  The changes
> > are probably too drastic for most people's tastes, but there might be
> > some ideas to be had from there.
>
> What's the point of GetPlayerObject? If there's a standard naming
> scheme this isn't needed.

I put it in to allow flexibility for the implementers, allowing one object to
implement all the interfaces, for example.  It's a pattern I lifted from
Telepathy.  I'm not particularly attached to that way of doing things, though,
and having standard locations is probably a sensible way to go given that's
how MPRIS 1 did it.

Alex