[mpris] Playlist extension

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeenix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:04:13 CET 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Alex Merry <kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 01 November 2010 15:35:36 Zeeshan Ali wrote:
>>    How about re-using an existing spec for this:
>> http://live.gnome.org/Rygel/MediaServer2Spec . This is already
>> implemented by gnome-dvb-daemon, pulse-audio (stab Lennart for not
>> caring to update to v2), rygel-grilo and rhythmbox. Yes, I know it
>> seems very much UPnP-specific but if you read carefully its really
>> very generic.
>
> It could be used, but it is geared towards exposing a media library, with the
> associated complexity.  For the use cases we have in mind (geared around
> showing a short "example" list of playlists that can be played, and optionally
> all the playlsits), it is complete overkill.

  Sorry but that is not true. This spec was originally created by
Lennart for exposing PulseAudio streams on UPnP network. There are
only 2 containers he exposed and each container usually had < 2 items
in them. Most of the metadata in the spec is optional so you can have
a very simple/slim implementation if that is your need.

> There is also the issue of dynamic playlists, for example, which (in Amarok,
> at least) don't even have tracks until you start playing them.

  Nothing in D-Bus specs stops you from creating D-Bus objects
on-demand. Also, you don't need to tie-up the life-cycle of the
playlist and its associated D-Bus object.

>  Representing
> them as a MediaContainer2 would be odd.

  I don't know the internals of Amarok to say anything about that so I
believe you but IMHO some odd code in one media player would still be
better than re-inventing the wheel.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)