[mpris] Playlist extension

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeenix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 21:54:31 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well you might not know the contents of a dynamic/online/smart
>>> playlists before you start playing it.
>>
>>  Hmm.. then how would one play individual tracks from playlists?
>> IMHO, thats a use-case that we must address.
>
> Well you can't.

  And you don't see that as a problem at all?

>>  Although, I've tried (and still am trying) to keep the MediaServer
>> spec generic but I would still want to satisfy the UPnP use-case at
>> the very least. Problem is that such dynamic containers AFAICT do not
>> fit the UPnP/DLNA world. Based on our discussions in the past, I'm
>> under the impression that you would want to have UPnP support (whether
>> its through this spec or not) in Amarok so you'll have to address this
>> issue at some point anyway.
>
> Well yes, my original point was that the goals of these APIs were
> quite different. You made it sound like it didn't matter though since
> it could still work. But I guess if a 0-length playlist isn't OK...

  I never said that you can have a 0-lenth playlist/container. :) I
was only saying that you can have 'dynamic' playlists. While by
dynamic you meant a playlist that only comes to existence when you
play it and I meant a playlist that comes into existence whenever you
need it (playing of it being a subset of this).

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124