[mpris] Playlist extension

Conor Curran conor.curran at canonical.com
Fri Nov 19 19:07:05 CET 2010

Hi Alex,
> Ideally, I'd like to see at least one client and one server implementation
> (just coded up and tested, not necessarily released) to make sure we haven't
> done anything stupid, but after that I'm happy for it to become official.

I am willing to do this using the Ubuntu sound menu as the client. Any
takers for the server ?
I am on holidays next week (gig in Dublin ->
http://severedhead.net/event.aspx?id=8) but I return to work on December
1st at which point I will code up a test client.

>>>   Regardless the spec needs some more "conceptual" defintion of what
>>>   sort of playlist should be returned
>> Obviously we want simple static playlists (of the traditional sort). Do
>> we want to go down dynamic playlist route ?
> I would say that a playlist is a named sequence of tracks that a media player
> can be requested to play, with no assumptions about whether that sequence is
> finite or deterministic - after all, we don't provide any way to query the
> tracks.  So dynamic playlists would fall under this heading.

Agreed.

> Ian also raised concerns about the ordering enum - particularly ModifiedDate
> and CreationDate, which may not entirely make sense for dynamic playlists.  I
> would suggest leaving this up to the media player to treat as they wish,
> suggesting that "when the properties of the dynamic playlist were changed" is
> a sensible approach for ModifiedDate.

Sounds good.

Good w/end all !
Conor