[mpris] mpris:trackId in Metadata

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Thu Nov 3 22:25:49 CET 2011

I'm writing a compliance-testing application for making sure media
players implement the MPRIS2 spec correctly, and I've run into a point
of ambiguity in the spec.

We decided that track ids should be D-Bus object paths, and SetPosition
and various methods in the TrackList interface accept arguments of type
'o' for that reason.

However, the description of Metadata in the spec says that mpris:trackId
should be a string (type 's').  This is how Amarok, for example, has
implemented it.

So: should the spec stay as it is (with inconsistent types for the track
id), or should it change to state that the mpris:trackId entry should be
of D-Bus type 'o'?  Note that the track id is supposed to be an opaque
value from the POV of MPRIS (although the referenced path might be a
valid object).

Alex