[mpris] Plans for media library interfacing?

Mirsal Ennaime mirsal at videolan.org
Thu Feb 9 14:13:36 CET 2012

Hi Alexander,

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 09:52 +0100, Alexander von Bremen-Kühne wrote:
> this is my first posting here, so "Hello to everybody" :)

Welcome :)

> On 07.02.2012 18:54, � Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Le samedi 4 f�vrier 2012 20:39:07 Eren Inan Canpolat, vous avez �crit :
> >> I wonder if the MPRIS project has any plans for defining a standard
> >> interface for controlling media libraries. This could include re-scanning
> >> media files that may have changed, editing metadata for the media files,
> >> file-name operations, etc.
> >
> > MPRIS is a protocol for controlling an (existing) media player.
> >
> > A media library sounds more like a service. It should be a separate
> protocol.
> > However, I am not sure it makes sense to standardize it. Different media
> > libraries probably have slightly different models, and might not accept an
> > external application adding random entries in random places?
>
> I can understand your point of view, but I think library support wouldnt
> be such a bad idea. Many of the implementing applications, like banshee,
> clementine, tomahawk or spotify, have a media library in background. And
> in some of them the items don't need to be linked directly to the local
> filesystem -- e.g. tomahawk and spotify.

The way I see it is rather that media library browsing through a
standard DBus API is non trivial and defining that API would require a
lot of time and effort which the current MPRIS contributors would
probably rather spend improving the current set of interfaces.

If there is already one out there which fulfills the goal nicely,
then it could be appropriate to use it or at least indicate that it
is the preferred interface for managing playlists, though we would have
to come up with a way to make the two interfaces work together which is
probably also a non trivial task.

Best regards,

--
mirsal