[streaming] Re: DVB-s to multicast streamin

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Thu Jun 26 15:48:52 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003, Vlad Niman wrote :

>   1.. If VLS for Windows can do it?

I'm afraid not. Only vls for linux has support for DVB

>   2.. I live in Toronto and I didn't find video cards of Siemens or Hauppauge. Here sell ATI (Wonder Radeon 7500). Can I use this video card?

As far as  I know, the AIW  Radeon doesn't support DVB, or,  if it does,
I'm afraid it has no linux driver.  The only supported DVB cards are the
one supported by the linuxtv project.

>   3.. How could I config VLS for multicast steaming of 50 TV channels at simultaneously? Is it possible?

Well, this  is possible, but  you'll need  several dvb cards.  Indeed, a
single dvb  card can only recieve  the chanels on a  same transponder at
once. That usually means something like 5-6 channels per card.

>   4.. How could I config that network multicast stream would 2 mbps? Could I config it on video card (if yes How?) or on VLS (How?)?
> If some body already implemented it?

DVB streams  are usually 3-4 Mbit/s.  If you want to  decrease this, the
onlys solution is transcoding  (usually MPEG4 transcoding). Videolan can
do this. However, this is *very* power consuming. You'll need one recent
computer (something over P4 1,6 GHz) per channel.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

<< Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire compliqué ? >>
Oui, pourquoi ?