[streaming] Re: Windows Selection for Streaming

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 03:30:47 CEST 2005

For streaming your screen, that's what the screen:// option of VLC does.
It cuts it up into a number of fragments, and renders it at whatever frames
per second are specified.  You must, or course, transcode, invoke a video
CODEC.

Try --longhelp --advanced, else look it up on wiki.videolan.org -- the
--screen command line switches are there.

For starters, I would normally use 4 or 6 fragments, and a low fps, say 2.
You get mouse "flicker" during the actual capturing, at least on Windows,
and cranking the number of fragments up a bit while keeping fps down
generally helps.  You can also use transcode scaling, if you would prefer to
cut the 1280x1024 (or whatever) source screen to a smaller size -- you can
transcode scale to 0.5, 0.25...

This is for use if you have a real need to stream your screen.  Depending on
what you really need to do, a remote control app like VNC (RealVNC nowadays)
may fit better.