[streaming] Re: live streaming mpeg2 with PVR-150/250

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat Apr 9 11:48:10 CEST 2005

Igor Ybema wrote:

>Dear people,
>
>In 2 weeks I need a good solution for a 2-way mpeg2-stream encoding and
>decoding over LAN. This is for live-streaming a event from a remote location
>to a television-control-room and back (so I need encoding and decoding at
>both sides).
>

>I'm looking at videolan to do the job but I've got some question:
>

>-          Does videolan on windows work with the PVR-250 and use the
>hardware mpeg2 encoding (as in linux)? Or is it only software encoding?

Yes through using DirectShow.

>-          Does videolan work with the PVR-150 (designed for Mediacenter)
>hardware encoding on linux and windows?

Never tried it but if there are DirectShow drivers for it then I think
it will work.

>-          Can videolan put the decoding on a hardware decoding card (like
>an Optibase) so I can use the video-out on that card?

No VLC doesn't use hardware decoding cards. It does decoding in
software. It can however read encoded data from PVR' cards.

>-          Is it better to choose a PVR-350 (with encoding and decoding
>support) and running 2 vlc's, one for encoding and one for decoding, on eachside?

I hear the 250 is more stable when using with VLC. But a PVR-350 does
work too.

The VLC on the server side when using a PVR-350 doesn't do encoding it
only does muxing and streaming, because the 350 already encoded the stream.
The VLC on the client side does the decoding in software.

PVR 350/250 -----> VLC streaming ---------- network --------> VLC client
(UDP) -----> output.

Kind greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.