[streaming] VLC and HD streams, issues after a few days of streaming

Thomas Kernen tkernen at deckpoint.ch
Thu Nov 10 11:58:53 CET 2005

I'm currently testing various HD streams from Astra and Hotbird such as
the Astra HD demo channel, Canal + Demo and HD Forum demo. In parallel I
  do have a few SD channels running (BBC World, Euronews).

The box is a running Linux 2.6.12.1 and has 3 Skystar II rev 2.6B, vlc
0.8.2 and the last libdvbpsi from the svn.

All is fine with my SD channels but the HD streams seem to die after a
few days. SDP still sees the announcements, the processes are still
running but the VLC client connecting to the multicast group never
receives the stream. The last message seen on the client is
"prebuffering", no TS over raw UDP and following steps are achieved.

I've swapped the vlc streams around between the cards but that doesn't
appear to solve the problem in any way, which leads me to suspect that
it is not related to a specific piece of hardware.

Before I look into this any further, is there anyone on the list who had
the same problem or may have a suggestion about where I should be
investigating first.

Thanks
Thomas