[streaming] Re: WMV & Multicast for Internet

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Nov 25 14:47:38 CET 2005

Hello;

1.) Multicast addresses are the _destination_ address, not the
_source_ address for multicasts. I.e.,
to send multicasts, in most systems it suffices to pick UDP and put
in a multicast address
as the destination address. (My reading of the original post was that
he thought that
the  multicast address was assigned in some  fashion to the  source,
as a secondary
source IP address, which it isn't.)

2.) Of the 224/4 multicast range that Viktor mentions below, most has
been assigned by IANA for
various purposes or are reserved. PLEASE do NOT pick a multicast
address at random from
the 224.0.0.0-239.255.255.255 range.

3.) The 239/8 range has been assigned for site  and network local
addresses, which  need no coordination except
with the local network administrator. In other words, the range
239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 is analogous for multicast to the 10 / 8
(i.e., 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255) range used for RFC1918 NAT's -
just pick one.

4.) If you want to have a globally routable multicast address, the
best bet is to use  "GLOP" space
in 233/8. This is covered in the multicast faq file

http://www.multicasttech.com/faq/

Regards
Marshall Eubanks