[streaming] Re: Bug when a RSTP streaming is dirty closed ?

CACHET Nicolas Nicolas.CACHET at rfo.fr
Wed Mar 1 15:23:54 CET 2006

> 	Hello,
>
> Le Mardi 28 Février 2006 19:05, CACHET Nicolas a écrit :
> > When a VLC client opens and closes normaly this stream ( stop and/or
> > quit), no problem.
> >
> > But when a client opens this stream and closes VLC by
> killing it (end
> > of task , "fin de tache" on windows),
> > the stream doesn't stop.
>
> I'm bored with this invalid bug report.
>
> This is not a bug! It is incorrect to terminate an RTP stream
> when the
> controlling RTSP session is closed.
>
> The only legal conditions when to stop the stream are:
> 1/ when the client ask for it explicitly through via RTSP,
> 2/ when RTCP times out (atm, VLC does not implemenent
> server-side RTCP).
>
> --
> Rémi Denis-Courmont
> http://www.simphalempin.com/home/

Hi !

Well, you're certainly right about this protocol,
but I don't understand why others RTSP servers react differently.

Perhaps, this explanation :

When VLC client is killed wildly, the RTSP connection is closed,
AND the 2 UDP ports which received the UDP stream.

So, when this event comes,
client's OS send ICMP datagram to VLC server with these caracteristics :
type 3 (Destination unreachable),
code 3 (Port unreachable)

VLC server handles this response by writing a warning  :

[00000299] [Media: canal0] access_output_udp private warning: send error: Connection refused
[00000301] [Media: canal0] access_output_udp private warning: send error: Connection refused

These messages come from the file " vlc-0.8.5-svn/modules/access_output/udp.c",
at the end of  "ThreadWrite" function :

560         if( send( p_thread->i_handle, p_pk->p_buffer, p_pk->i_buffer, 0 )
561               == -1 )
562         {
563             msg_Warn( p_thread, "send error: %s", strerror(errno) );
564         }

So, why VLC server continues to send datagrams that it knows they can't be received ?
"message") sont etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, RFO  decline toute responsabilite au titre de ce message, dans l'hypothese  ou il aurait ete modifie.
                                                              http://www.rfo.fr