[streaming] Re: Problems using TS muxer and vcodec mp4v

Isidro Lopes da Silva Neto isidro at cpqd.com.br
Thu Mar 9 16:07:06 CET 2006

My name is Isidro and it's been a long time I use VLC.

I'm also experimenting problem to stream using TS Muxing.

I use VLC to capture and stream over an optical network and VLC is
doing a great job but there is an issue that I can be able to solve even
with help of VideoLAN forum.

By October 2005 I received a webcam sample, a Logitech Fusion model and,
as I have always used to do, I try to capture with VLC (0.8.2)
but my Windows XP crashed.
I tried it on another computer (Windows 2000) and it also crashed.
The same happened using VLC version 0.8.4.a.
I though that it was a problem of that particular sample of web cam.

Then I received other samples of web cams:
Logitech Fusion and new Creative Web Cam Live.
Both crashed Windows XP/2000 when I tried to capture with VLC.

Then I discover that this issue was being discussed
in the Forum since last September
(<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=12394>).

Then from a particular nightly build of version 0.8.5, the crash problem was solved.
But the TS a muxing problem appeared:

VLC media player 0.8.5-svn-20060227-0000 Janus
[00000342] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000286] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder

I get this message every time I run the following line command:

vlc <dshow://> :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro" :dshow-adev="Logitech Mic (Notebooks Pro)" :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=localhost:1234}}

This test command line works very well with this particular web cam
with versions 0.8.2 and 0.8.4a!!!

Now I face the dilemma:

1-	Using either 0.8.2 or 0.8.4.a versions I get a crash with newer web cams
2-	Using 0.8.5 (any nightly build) I cannot stream using mp4a,
it doesn't matter the web cam I try to use: Logitech, Creative or Phillips
(other codecs work but I have to use this one, for specification reasons)

I would appreciate very much your help with this issue.

Isidro.