[streaming] Re: Reliable streaming format for wireless links

Romuald CARI Romuald.CARI at eleve.emn.fr
Mon Mar 13 16:10:44 CET 2006

Niall Donegan a écrit :

UDP + Wireless create creepy things.
The problem is that in UDP broadcast / multicast, packets are send once
for all with no transmission check. Wireless protocols can not guarantee
that all UDP datagrams will be transmitted properly. The only way to get
a "secure" transmission over wireless links, I think, is to establish a
TCP connection, using HTTP protocol for example, and to set a huge
buffer time on the client side (10 seconds maybe). The HTTP protocol,
because it uses TCP will handle the errors and resend the data as much
as necessary, so you should not see those creepy things in your image.
You can not create "secure" multicasting over wireless networks, there
is no way to guarantee that yout clients will get all the data.

You could try to reduce the stream bandwidth and create unicast TCP
connections to your clients using HTTP, good luck !

Romuald