[streaming] Re: Reliable streaming format for wireless links

Thomas Kernen tkernen at imap4all.com
Mon Mar 13 18:18:48 CET 2006

> The other thing is the size of your GOP. Can you shorten it ? Suppose
> you are sending out 100 pps
> (packets per second) and the GOP is 30 seconds. Then, 1 packet lost out
> of 3000 will mess things up,
> on average for 15 seconds. If you can lower the GOP to 30 frames (1
> second), then the same packet loss rate
> will case errors for 1 second out of 30, lasting on average for 0.5
> seconds, which is a lot
> more tolerable.
>
> I always try and lower the GOP for streaming.

Shorter GOP would therefore mean a higher bitrate due to the increased
number of I-frames. So that may cause more issues with APs that can't
handle multicast properly?!?

Else, I agree with your statement in your previous message, I would like
to see Raptor FEC supported in VLC. That combined with the work in the
IETG RMT WG may allow us to solve the issue some time in the future.

Thomas