[streaming] Different number of frames between sender and receiver

Xiaolin Cheng xiaolin.cheng at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 10:24:29 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I got a strange problem when I streamed a mpeg4 file (coded with ffmpeg from
raw yuv format) for a server to a client. The client grabbed the stream as
well as stored it into a file on the disk.

I compared the tcpdump traces from the sender and receiver. I found no
packet was lost, which means tranmission was perfect. However, the decoded
yuv file at the receiver has less number of frames than the original yuv.

I used both GUI and command line. Both gave me the same results.

Here are my command line at the server:
vlc    test.m4v    --sout "#rtp{dst=10.0.0.6, port=5000, mux=ts,
ttl=1}" --intf dummy

at the client:
vlc udp:@:5000 --sout file/ts:test.m4v --intf dummy

Does the file-caching or udp-caching affect the results?

Any clue to explain the frame discrepancy?

Thanks much for yoru attention.