[streaming] Lua scripts break the playlist - but why?

Gergely Kiss mail.gery at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 16:52:29 CET 2009

Dear List,

I'm facing a quite strange problem now. Finally, I could manage to
stream any kind of media through MMSH/ASF, the problem was around
audio formats: according to the sout chain, the audio track should
have been stereo, but some of the source files were encoded as mono
and WMP refused to play anything, as it detected only one channel.
Setting "channels=1" in the sout chain solved the problem. It would be
nice, though, if VLC could automatically duplicate the channel of a
mono input to stream it as stereo, but that's not very important right
now (could this be a feature request?).

What I'm facing now is a bit harder nut for me. If I try to create a
playlist through the HTTP interface, I end up having a totally
randomized list - playlist elements appear in the correct order, but
they are getting played back in an unpredictable order: sometimes an
element gets repeated 2-3 times, sometimes an element is skipped
without even trying to play it (according to the debug messages). I
tried to look around a bit and found that this issue may be related to
lua scripts and the XML playlist, which is used by the HTTP interface.
If I created a playlist with some mixed elements (MP3 music from a
network share, a couple of YouTube videos), I experience the
followings:

1. The first item in the list is played twice.
2. The next item should be
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sadHKrdaHZo", but it is the last item
(/home/kissg/mp3/Ambient/Jean-Michel Jarre - Waiting for Cousteau
.mp3).
3. VLC continues to play with
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sadHKrdaHZo", which should have been
the previous item.
4. After this, the youtube videos on the list are played sequentially.

As long as the playlist is in an unmodified state, each item shows up
as a leaf of the playlist node. After the lua scripts are run, leaves
of the youtube videos will be converted to nodes, and the URL of the
video will be the leaf. Probably that's what causes the problem, VLC
tries to play the leaves first and the extra nodes will be played only
at the end of the playlist... Okay, this is just my hypothesis, I'm
not a developer of VLC.

Please check the XML file attached to see the layout of the playlist.

Could this be a bug of VLC? It not, how should I tell VLC to play the
items in the correct order?

Disabling the playlist tree (--no-playlist-tree) didn't help...