[streaming] What configuration/app can I use to solve this problem?

Paul Chandler pcha at uniting.com.au
Thu Feb 5 06:15:00 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

Pardon this question from a newbie to streaming.  I'll explain the present set-up and the dilemma:

The situation is at our local church.  We have audio from the sound desk being input into a computer and simultaneously streamed to mms, a mp3 file and a wav file (yes, one "in" and 3 "outs", thanks to vlc). Works neatly.

There's a separate computer which is connected to a data projector, which does visuals, mainly powerpoint.  I could stream this video-only using "vlc screen://" (or some alternate which does screen grabbing as a DirectShow).

So, as you've probably guessed, what I want to do is to combine the video and audio.  The simplest solution would be to run an analogue audio cable to the 'powerpoint' computer and capture it all there (DirectShow for the video, and the sound card for the audio).  But given the distance between the two computers, that isn't as easy as it sounds.  However, both are networked, and because of the video being mainly powerpoint, a moderate amount of lag will not be an issue.

I could send the video via rtsp/mms, and then if there was such a product pick it up as DirectShow (is there a mms -> DirectShow application somewhere?) and from there, into vlc for a "combined" stream.  Or is there a way of doing audio from local card and video from stream directly in vlc?  (Maybe using "es"?)

Or maybe someone can suggest a better solution!

Thanks,

--
Paul Chandler
pcha at uniting.com.au