[streaming] continuing SAP problems with 0.9.x

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Tue Feb 17 20:06:02 CET 2009

I've mentioned this before but VLC versions 0.9.x continue to have
problems seeing certain types of SAP announcements.  When I first noticed
this when 0.9 first came out I thought the 0.9.x versions were
accidentally filtering announcements sent by 0.8.x versions but that turns
out to be false since some announcements from 0.8.x systems are seen by
0.9.x.

The problem can be demonstrated by running VLC 0.8.x and 0.9.x on two
different machines on the same multicast-connected network.  The SAP
playlist will be different between the two VLCs with VLC 0.9.x showing
fewer entries.  However, running a sniffer on the system running VLC 0.9.x
shows it's actually receiving the missing SAP announcements on it's
ethernet but it's just not adding them to it's playlist.  Toggling the
various SAP options in 0.9.x doesn't seem to matter.

--
Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN