[Translators] Help to translate the VLC Skin Editor

Daniel Dreibrodt daniel.dreibrodt at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:11:55 CET 2009

Version 0.8 of the VLC Skin Editor
<http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skineditor.html> will include
multi-language support and I plan to release it soon.

Download 0.8.0.dev (Development build)

    * Windows: Setup
      <http://d-gfx.kognetwork.ch/VLC/skineditor/VLCSkinEditor_0_8_dev_setup.exe>
    * Windows: ZIP
      <http://d-gfx.kognetwork.ch/VLC/skineditor/VLCSkinEditor_0_8_dev_w32.zip>
    * Linux/Unix: tar.gz
      <http://d-gfx.kognetwork.ch/VLC/skineditor/VLCSkinEditor_0_8_dev_unix.tar.gz>

I need your help so that it gets translated into more languages. Here is
a HowTo on translation for the Skin Editor:

How to translate
All language files are in the lang folder. Each language file is encoded
in UTF-8 and that has to be the encoding of any new language file you
create as otherwise non-latin characters will not be displayed correctly.

The file languages.txt tells the program about available languages. It
contains entries in the following formate, one entry per line:
ISO language code|English name of the language|Language file

So start by adding a new line for the language you want to translate to.
e.g.
fr|French|fr.txt

Copy the English language file (or that of any other language you
understand best), and rename it to the name you specified in languages.txt.

Now start editing the copied language file.
In most places you find helpful comments, started by a # at the
beginning of the line, explaining the following entries.

Each entry consists of the String ID followed by a | and then the
translated text.
To create line breaks in the translated text write \n
In some entries you can use variables which are a % followed by the
variable name, e.g. %i for an ID.
Also Some entries may contain HTML formatted text, in order that this
works the translated string has to begin with <html> and end with </html>.

I hope you understand how to translate for the Skin Editor through this
short information. If you have any questions just post them in this thread.

If you want to do a translation post it in the forums
(http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54810) and if you're
finished please send the language file along with the name of the
language to skin-designer at videolan.org <mailto:skin-designer at videolan.org>

Already available languages are:

    * English
    * German