[Translators] [videolan] VLC player - Finnish translation

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Thu Mar 18 12:21:55 CET 2010

Hello,

----- Message d'origine -----

> I was wondering how do you validate a new language translation before releasing?
> How can I suggest an update? I can not call myself a developer or programmer and

We don't necessarly validate, though some translating team are big enough to do some cross-checking.

You don't have to be a programmer. You can contribute by translating or designing, writing docs, ...

> I wonder if there is a dll or a xml or any specific form for it?

It's a text file in the PO format. PoEdit or loKalize are nice editors for this format.

> The finnish translation (latest version 1.0.5) made by Otto Kekäläinen
> (according to your page http://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n)  is mostly
> accurate but there are some phrases that a) are still in english b) are direct
> word-to-word translations, not exact (technical) terms c) are 'modern' language
> and not grammarly correct. Street language (mostly used by teenagers ...and some
> others who never grow up) vs. written text is under wide and passionate debate
> in Finland today. I think a loose language does not give very professional
> impression and should not be applied to an international media such as VLC
> player.

You should contact Otto  and see how you can help (translating new strings, doing a review, ...)
The translating of VLC 1.1 will start soon so you can also help for that.

Regards

--
Xtophe