[Translators] Question about versions.

Christoph Miebach Christoph.Miebach at web.de
Thu Dec 8 23:57:59 CET 2011

Hello!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Thomas De Rocker" <thomasderocker at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: 08.12.2011 19:43:46

>I have a question about the current version(s) of VLC. On git.videolan.org we have vlc/vlc-1.2.git (the VLC 1.2 maintenance branch) and the "VLC repository" with v1.3.
>
>Which one should we translate? Are the strings for 1.2 still going to change? Are 1.2 and 1.3 developed separately? In other words: do we have to translate everything 2 times?
>
>I'm sorry if this sounds confused, but i'm not a programmer and I don't really get the version stuff. I would be glad if someone could explain this to me.

I don't know the exact schedule for the version releases, but I will try to answer some of the questions:
_If_ the strings on 1.2 will change (I am unsure, if they will be changed at all) there will be very few, very small changes (some typos in the english original at most). So, if you could spare the time, translating version 1.2 has the highest priority.

However, if the release comes out, before you submitted your translation, it can't be included.
But your work will not be lost:
Very much (almost everything) of the translation will be kept in the next version. It doesn't make much sense to throw away the translations for let's say "Ok", "Open file" or similar strings, does it?
Since all the translations are treated the same, more complex parts like  "These modules provide network functions to all other parts of VLC." are kept, too.

The trick is to start with the current version of the translation. Do not start with an empty translation (po)-file.

Any errors in my statement will hopefully be corrected by other list members
Regards

Christoph Miebach