[Translators] Translations for VLC 1.2.0

Christophe Mutricy xtophe at chewa.net
Tue Oct 11 21:59:50 CEST 2011

Hello,

The next major version of VLC media player, version 1.2.0 is
approaching.
So it's time to think about localization.

I have recently ported all the .po files from the 1.1.x branch
(vlc/vlc-1.1.git) to the master branch (vlc.git)

So you can download the new .po file for your language at:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=tree;f=po;hb=HEAD
by seleting the "raw" link and saving the file

If you had already starting to work on the translations for 1.2 and you
have a version of your .po file which is better than the one currently
in git, send it and I'll merge it with the latest vlc.pot.

Remember that the .po files are encoded in UTF-8. Most software like
poEdit or loKalize should recognize that automatically.

As some strings have changed only slightly between 1.1.X and 1.2.x,
gettext will have tried to make automatic translation or guesses. Such
guesses are marked "fuzzy". It can be more or less good. Please review
the translations marked "fuzzy" and un-mark them if relevant.

As the .po file format is not diff-friendly, it is best to put the file
online and send the link to translators at videolan.org. Alternatively, you
can send the file to me or the mailing-list.

For new languages, you can use vlc.pot at the same location. Run
'msginit' on it or simply rename it according to the ISO 639-1 or ISO
639-3 code.

There are 2 other files which are translatable:
* The ".desktop" file used on Linux desktops
You can download it at
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob_plain;f=share/vlc.desktop.in;hb=HEAD

You need to review/update/add the 3 lines
Name[LL]=;GenericName[LL]=;Comment[LL]=

The character encoding is UTF-8.
You can send a git diff or unified diff if your know how or put the
whole file online and send the link to translators at videolan.org.

* The translation of the windows installer:
The files can be downloaded at:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=tree;f=extras/package/win32/languages;hb=HEAD
by clicking on the 'raw' link.

The encoding is the normal Windows encoding for computer set with your
language.

Due to limitations in the NSIS version we use on our build server only
the following languages are possible:
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Belarusian, Bosnian, Breton,
Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto,
Estonian, Farsi, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew,
Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean,
Kurdish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malay,
Mongolian, Norwegian, NorwegianNynorsk, Polish, PortugueseBR,
Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, SerbianLatin, Serbian, SimpChinese,
Slovak, Slovenian, SpanishInternational, Spanish, Swedish, Thai,
TradChinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbek, Welsh

You can send a git diff or unified diff if your know how or put the
whole file online and send the link to translators at videolan.org.

mailing-list. If you are not yet subscribe, you can join at
http://mailman.videolan.org/listinfo/translators .

Thanks for all your past and future contributions to VLC.
Best regards,

--
Xtophe