[Translators] VLC 2.0.2 Basque Update (POT-Creation-Date, 2012-06-07)

Michael Bauer fios at akerbeltz.org
Thu Jun 21 12:23:48 CEST 2012

As an "innocent bystander", I personally think that Julen's proposal is
sound. Peer review works ok in really big languages but in smaller
languages, especially non-state languages there's a good chance that
localization is pulled in too many directions by too many different
parties. Before we took on Gaelic localization big time and streamlined
the terminology and phraseology, there were half a dozen words for
"import" kicking around, NOT to the joy of users.

It's hard enough encouraging speakers of languages like Gaelic and
Basque towards software in their own languages, raising the bar by
having terminology variation is not helpful. It seems that the group
Julen represents is working hard towards making Basque l10n
user-friendly and if that, in this case, requires a rollback, then that
to me would be worth the trouble. We had to do something similar when we
took on OpenOffice many years ago as the previous translation had been
SO out of kilter with the rest of the universe it might as well have
been in Aynu.

That's my tuppence anyway.

Izan untsa,

Michael (who's looking forward to the first release in Scottish Gaelic!)

21/06/2012 11:00, sgrìobh translators-request at videolan.org: