[ANN] vlc 0.2.60

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Wed Feb 14 10:13:40 CET 2001

   After a long, long, long while, version 0.2.60 of the VideoLAN Client
(vlc) is out. A lot of new features have been added since the 0.1.99
series, and the program is faster as well.

   Amongst the hot news, we now have MPEG 1 support, direct DVD support,
encrypted DVD support, fast forward and slow motion, hardware YUV
acceleration through the SDL library, arbitrary seeking in the stream.

   Check this screenshot to see the new, working interface:

      http://www.videolan.org/screenshots/20010214-00.png

   We lost a few features in the process (TS input, GGI, plain X11,
framebuffer output) because these modules haven't been ported to the new
client structre yet. We are all working on this.

   You can download the new version via HTTP or FTP:

      http://www.videolan.org/download.html
      ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/0.2.60/

   CVS:

   We now have the official authorization from our director to
distribute VideoLAN under the GPL, which means that the development is
going to be more open and hopefuly more active. The CVS repository has
already been made public (use an empty password):

% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan login
(Logging in to anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org)
CVS password:
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan co vlc

   Mailing-lists:

   A new mailing-list has been created, called vlc-devel, aimed at
separating user discussions from developer discussions. The way to
subscribe and unsubscribe is still through the listar at videolan.org
address.

   The mailing-lists archives can be found here:

      http://www.via.ecp.fr/ml/vlc/
      http://www.via.ecp.fr/ml/vlc-devel/
      http://www.via.ecp.fr/ml/videolan-announce/

For the VideoLAN team,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \