[videolan-announce] VLC 1.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Jun 8 01:10:49 CEST 2009

Dear VideoLAN users,

The VideoLAN project is pleased to announce the third release candidate
of VLC media player 1.0.0, namecode 'Goldeneye'.

This is a TEST release for the new 1.0 branch of VLC media player that
will bring many new features and fixes to VLC.

This release is only advised for the power users of VLC media player.
If you are a casual user of VLC, you should probably wait for the upcoming
release 1.0.0.

Features of VLC 1.0.0 includes:
 - better playback features (instant pausing, on-the-fly recording, frame-by-frame...),
 - new codecs and new formats decoding (AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, MLP,
   raw dirac, dirac encoding, SCTE-20...),
 - stability and compatibility improvements (RealVideo in MKV, Wav/GSM files,
   M2TS and AVCHD files, multi-channel audio ordering ).
 - Windows and Linux interface improvements (toolbars customization,
   finer speed control, better GTK integration...),
 - On-the-fly files playback in .zip archives (and .gzip, .bzip2 archives on Unix),
 - numerous fixes and other improvements over the 0.9.x releases of VLC.

Source tarballs are available for all platforms and
Windows and MacOS X binaries are available for download on
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/testing/vlc-1.0.0-rc3/.

We would like to take this opportunity to tell designers, that we are currently
doing a skins contest to select a new default skin for the skins2 interface of VLC.
More info on http://wiki.videolan.org/Skins2_Contest.

We'd like to thank all our contributors, testers and users around the
world for their support and help making this development possible.

For the VideoLAN team,
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

--
http://www.videolan.org/