0.2.71 release & Mac OS X/Darwin 1.3

Eric Carlson carl0240 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Apr 14 06:37:13 CEST 2001

On Friday, April 13, 2001, at 10:04  PM, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2001, Eric Carlson wrote:
>
>> OK... here's the info I have, first the kernel panic text (hand copied
>> from the screen of the crashed box. I double checked it all but it's
>> possible I may have mis-typed something):
>
>    Thanks, I'll have a look at the Darwin sources and see what may be
> wrong. Is your DVD player really SCSI ?

Nope... it's ATAPI (like any other CD/DVD device on an ATA bus, I
think). One of my friends who usually knows what he's talking about (but
this may be completely wrong...) mentioned to me a while back that ATAPI
is more or less SCSI commands encapsulated (hence the Packet part of ATA
Packet Interface) in an ATA protocol. So that might help explain things.

I'm going to test out DVDioctl kext on my Powerbook too, which has just
a plain DVD-ROM on an ATA bus, to see if there's anything different
there. Apple also today released a MacOS X update that, among other
things, updated parts of their StorageFamily device drivers. So
hopefully that'll make some of this a bit easier since I'd guess Apple's
moving towards having their own DVD player working on OS X. I'm going to
test things out on the new update and will report if anything seems
different.

Eric