Compile/configuration fixes

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri Apr 20 00:22:20 CEST 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001, Espen Skoglund wrote:

> I've attached some diffs which fixes these problems
> plus some other minor issues.

   Thanks for the patches! Unfortunately I set up the list manager so
that it strippes binary attachments, could you please resend it as plain
text or upload it to ftp://ftp.videolan.org/incoming/ ?

   A few answers to your comments:

>   o With the current build procedure it is not possible to cd into
>     a directory and do a make there.  One has to do a make in the top
>     level dir.

   We once had only one big makefile, recursive make being what it is,
and with the insane dependencies we have in vlc, it would have been a
pain to deal with a Makefile in each directory. The Makefiles in the
plugin/* dirs are actually not different than includes.

>   o The makefiles are extremely GNU make specific.

   True. I don't know how difficult it would be to switch to standard
main, but my impression is that GNU make is fairly common, even under
f/bsd.

>   o Distributing variables from configure to plugin makefiles is
>     somewhat hacky in the current implementation.

   As stated before, they shouldn't really be seen as real Makefiles,
because they depend a lot on the top-level Makefile and Makefile.opt.

> (Oh, and it would probably be a good idea to remove the `configure'
> file from the CVS.  I assume that it must be annoying for you to get
> loads of conflicts everytime you do a `cvs up'.)

   Well I thought it'd be better to have it, so you wouldn't need to
call autoconf after a checkout. That would be useful on boxes with
outdated autotools, or no autotools at all.

Regards,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
VideoLAN - play DVDs and MPEG on Linux, Unix, and BeOS !