basic win32 port

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Apr 26 22:55:14 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:29:11 Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001, gbazin at netcourrier.com wrote:
>
> > After having installed everything properly and patched the VLC
> > you still have to do a few modifications: - Because we are
> > cross-compiling, you have to remove the AC_C_BIGENDIAN check
> > in configure.in - Run autoconf - Run configure --disable-x11
> > --disable-gtk --disable-dsp --disable-xvideo - Modify Makefile.opts
> > to build sdl not as a plugin but builtin (plugins don't work yet on
> > win32) - Still in Makefile.opts, you will have to add "-lws2_32" to
> > the linker options this is to include winsock. As a quick and ugly
> > hack, just add this on the "LIB_YUV =" line. - ... I think this is it,
> > now run make.
>
>    I applied your patch to my local tree, and did a few modifications to
> enable accelerated plugins (except the yuvmmx one which fails to compile
> for the moment).
>
>    My ./configure command is:
>
>    CC=i586-mingw32msvc-gcc CFLAGS=-I/usr/i586-mingw32msvc \
>      RANLIB=i586-mingw32msvc-ranlib ./configure --host=i386-mingw32msvc \
>      --target=i386-mingw32msvc --build=i386-linux --disable-dsp \
>      --disable-gtk --disable-x11 --disable-xvideo
>
>    The resulting binary runs with wine but fails at opening files. For
> people who want to try, take the patched tarball here:
>    http://zoy.org/~sam/vlc/vlc-0.2.72-win32.tar.gz

It seems to be the same problem I had, and is related to the SDL audio
plugin. When you do an SDL_OpenAudio then an SDL_CloseAudio, you end up
crashing everything. And the VLC does that when it probes for plugins. (I
suppose this is why SDL audio is disable in the CVS tree).
This problem only seems to happen under Linux (or Wine), at least it does
on my computer and yours.
I would be inclined to think it's an SDL issue (race conditions)... even
though nothing like this has been mentioned in the SDL mailing list.
At some point I was able to run the VLC+SDL audio (Linux version) without
any problems, but when I used the debugger (GDB) on the same version it
would crash...

Anyway, I also wanted to tell you that I found a nice debugger for windows,
with a nice GUI.
You can find it at: http://www.objectcentral.com/downloads.htm under the
name of Insight (=GDB+GUI).

>    The debian package for the cross-compiler is mingw32.
>
> > I know I introduced a lot of #ifdef in the code but I didn't know how
> > the VLC team wanted that.
>
>    I think the #ifdef in locations such as mtime.c or threads.h are
> perfectly OK. They should probably be replaced with #ifdef __win32__ or
> whatever is defined under Windows.
>
> > I still hope someone will try to integrate this in the CVS, and if
> > more work is needed for that, I'm ready to help.
>
>    Well, the only issue seems to be the need to remove AC_C_BIGENDIAN.
> If someone fixes this, I see no reason not to integrate your patches.

I will try to see what can be done, but I'm no autoconf expert.