STDIN/STDOUT control plugin

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri Apr 27 02:41:59 CEST 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001, Peter Surda wrote:

> Now the intro to subject: I'd like to write a plugin (or something) which will
> enable me to control vlc thru STDIN/STDOUT. I need this for the multimedia
> jukebox I'm developing.

   Be careful about stdout, since vlc uses it for message output. Have
you considered using a control fifo instead ? mknod /tmp/vlc_control,
and communicate through this pipe. Just a thought.

   The plugin type you are going to need is an interface plugin.
My suggestion is to start with the dummy plugin (copy dummy.c and
intf_dummy.c), and add stuff to it by studying what the gtk or gnome
plugins do.

> And the question: if I write this, will it be integrated into main distro?

   Well the decision doesn't belong to me, but if it's useful and well
written, I think it'll have great chances to be integrated.

> Oh yeah and I'll probably borrow some stuff from the dvd-ioctl part if you
> don't mind (need that for the jukebox too) :-)

   Feel free to do anything with the code (mind the GPL requirements
though).

--
Sam.