Question regarding -vvvvv output

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Aug 6 09:43:03 CEST 2001

What that basically means is that pictures have been decoded by the mpeg decoder but they were ready too late to be displayed (so they are skipped).
The pointers you can see in the verbose messages don't relate to a specific picture in the video, but to a picture buffer, this is why you can see the same number several times. Basically vlc maintains a pool of picture buffers and decodes into them.

--
Gildas

>ive been using vlc on mac os x for a while now, and im sure that the
>speed issues have been discussed already. however, i have a question.
>running vlc from the command line with the -vvvvv option, the screen
>quickly fills up with skipped frame warnings. an example shown here:
>
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3f4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e444)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3a4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e3f4)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e304)*
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e444)
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>vout warning: late picture skipped (0xf9e354)**
>
>the one thing I did notice was how certain pictures seemed to repeat.
>(certain ones marked with an *) is this just an error in my
>understanding of the file format? can anyone explain to me what is
>happening? im playing the deep rising vob trailer, BTW.
>
>-jake

Une gamme d'outils gratuits et performants à votre service.
Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 E TTC/min - 2,21 F TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 E TTC/min - 1,00 F TTC/min)