VideoLAN client project status

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Thu Mar 8 16:09:02 CET 2001

Hello,

Some words to tell you what's going on and who's working on what. Since
it's the first public project status, I have added a "who's who" part,
too.

Disclaimer : I don't claim this is accurate or complete.
Disclaimer2 : This mail reflects mostly my understanding of the situation.
              If you don't share my views, please discuss it in the
              mailing-list (that's what it's for).

1. Current CVS committers
   ======================
May our old fellows forgive me if they aren't on the list. I probably
forgot some people, too :-).

Name : Pierre Baillet <oct at zoy.org>
Nickname : Octplane
Areas of expertise : SDL, Gnome interface
Currently working on : Gnome playlist

Name : Stéphane Borel <stef at via.ecp.fr>
Nickname : stef
Areas of expertise : DVD stuff, DeCSS, Gnome interface
Currently working on : Stream selection, title/chapter selection

Name : Toney Castley <tcastley at mail.powerup.com.au>
Nickname : ?
Areas of expertise : BeOS interface
Currently working on : Well, BeOS interface, I guess

Name : Renaud Dartus <reno at via.ecp.fr>
Nickname : reno
Areas of expertise : AC3
Currently working on : ac3dec

Name : Henri Fallon <henri at via.ecp.fr>
Nickname : henri
Areas of expertise : ALSA, TS input plugin, network input
Currently working on : network input

Name : Samuel Hocevar <sam at zoy.org>
Nickname : sam
Areas of expertise : Interface, plugins, video output, and many more
Currently working on : Video output rewrite (sub titles with overlay,
                       stuff like that), Gnome interface, and
                       compiled-in plugins

Name : Damien Lucas <nitrox at via.ecp.fr>
Nickname : nitrox
Areas of expertise : Xvideo
Currently working on : Native Xvideo support

Name : Christophe Massiot <massiot at via.ecp.fr>
Nickname : Meuuh
Areas of expertise : Input, video parser and decoder, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2
                     specifications, and many more
Currently working on : Bug fixes, ports, consulting, small features
                       Maybe Qt/KDE interface

Name : Richard Shepherd <richard at rshepherd.demon.co.uk>
Nickname : richard
Areas of expertise : BeOS video output and interface
Currently working on : Overlay and interface

If you want to contribute, please contact the appropriate person above,
or vlc-devel at videolan.org. Most of us can be reached via IRC
irc.openprojects.net, channel #videolan.

2. Things in the work
   ==================
The TODO list seems a bit out-of-date, here is a list of what needs to
be done before 0.3.0 release and hasn't been attributed yet :
 - Allow decoder plugins
 - Allow auto-probe of input plugins (at least for seekable streams)
 - Stabilization of the interface
 - dummy interface with keyboard shortcuts
 - Fix bugs

And always :
 - Documentation (it's becoming urgent !)

--
Christophe Massiot.