Resize Bug Report

Dan Morrison dmorriso at eagle7.org
Wed Mar 28 05:58:22 CEST 2001

When I *enlarge* the video window, I promptly (within a second, but after
the video increases in size successfully) get a segfault, like so:

[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:30] vlc matrix_wazzup.mpeg
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.63 Urumov - (c)1996-2000 VideoLAN

intf: interface initialized
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 32/32 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration unavailable !
input: opening matrix_wazzup.mpeg
Segmentation fault
[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:30]

The video if the Matrix Whatup, you can get it (I think) from
detonate.net.

Versions:
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.63
SDL 1.1.8

The machine is Linux 2.4.2, Slackware based, X 3.3.?, recent Sawfish
window manager.  All libraries (SDL, gtk, etc) compiled and latest
versions.  Athlon 900 Mhz.

If I shrink the window size, it plays fine.

Other details:

If I enlarge it little by little, I it seems to be ok, but then it gets
unstable: for instance, if I get it about 200 pixels larger, and then go
fullscreen and back, the desktop get shifted partly off the display, and
the mouse stops working (so I need to CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE)  I have also had
it stop and consume all CPU time at video end if I resize slowly.

I have also managed to get this output by resizing in small increments
(always enlarging):

[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:52] vlc matrix_wazzup.mpeg
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.63 Urumov - (c)1996-2000 VideoLAN

intf: interface initialized
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 32/32 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration unavailable !
input: opening matrix_wazzup.mpeg
Gdk-ERROR **: Fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server :0.0.
[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:53]

And this one with a large resize:

[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:56] vlc matrix_wazzup.mpeg
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.63 Urumov - (c)1996-2000 VideoLAN

intf: interface initialized
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 32/32 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration unavailable !
input: opening matrix_wazzup.mpeg
Gdk-ERROR **: 47
[ttyp1 at dalek:/home/dmorriso @22:56]

(I've been playing around while writing this note, hence the new output)

One other note - when I shrink, then make it bigger, I have no crashes
until I expand beyond the original size.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a DVD drive, and I'll know how that works.

---
Dan Morrison                                          http://www.eagle7.org
dmorriso at eagle7.org                                            AIM: EaglVII