vlc takes more CPU time than xine

Stéphane Borel stef at via.ecp.fr
Sat May 19 15:27:01 CEST 2001

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 07:08:18PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> Will someone please explain why vlc uses so much more CPU time than xine
> does?  vlc, when playing a DVD chapter from hard disk, uses 25-35% of the
> CPU.  Xine, when playing the same scene, uses only 1-2%.  X uses
> approximately the same CPU on both.  Overall, vlc uses about 60% CPU
> time while Xine uses about 40%.

We think that it is mainly due to an old design of our video output. it
is being rewritten now and a new version should be in cvs soon. We hope
that it will help us come back in the run for performance.

Maybe you're using a version for which input_dvd performance is bad too.
I hope we've find back a good level of performance in last cvs.

--
Stef