Performance requirements inherent in streaming mpeg2

Chris Worley cworley at symbionsys.com
Tue May 22 18:11:36 CEST 2001

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2001, Chris Worley wrote:
>

>> Is their a problem inherent to streaming (vs. file oriented) mpeg2 that makes it
>> difficult to drop frames when trying to playback in realtime?
>

> No.

Good to know.  Thank you.

>> Vlc will play from a file, and drop frames as necessary, but won't use stdin.
>

> VLC will use stdin if you give "-" as filename.

I get errors:

cat  test2.mpeg2  | vlc -V sdl -v -
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.73 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

module error: failed calling init in builtin module
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `lib'
module: browsing `/usr/local/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: locking module `gtk'
intf: interface initialized
module: locking module `dsp'
module: locking module `sdl'
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 16/16 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration unavailable !
module: locking module `yuvmmx'
input error: no suitable input module for `-'
input error: no suitable input module for `-'
input error: no suitable input module for `-'

(This continuously repeats)

>> Vlc has a streaming network interface (driven by vlms or vls).  When I use the
>> network interface, vlc acts like mpeg2dec: plays slowly, won't drop frames.
>

> That is not normal. However a P200MMX is reaally sloooow.

It's normal that vlc won't drop frames to try to keep up with wall time?

Thanks,

Chris