using mmx feature in windows(in visual C++ 6.0)

Jon Lech Johansen jon at nanocrew.net
Sun Nov 11 05:29:05 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 10:49:47AM +0900, ±èȸö (airpenny3 at dggen.com) wrote:

> Now I have one more question. I want to port vlc on windows based on
> win32 api and MFC. I use visual C++ 6.0 as tools. There are many source
> code implemented by MMX. And are they functioning on windows? Please tell
> me tips for using MMX in visual C++ 6.0. I just started using asembly and MMX.

Are you thinking of creating a native win32 interface plugin? I've
already starting doing this. If you intend to use MFC, you should be
aware that there are some legal issues:
http://wine.codeweavers.com/docs/winelib-user/mfc-legal-issues.shtml

The MMX plugins do not compile with msc because gcc uses a different
format and syntax for its inline asm. You will have to write new ones
for msc' inline asm, or use either masm or nasm. This has been
considered a non-issue since official vlc win32 releases will be
compiled using mingw32 (www.mingw.org).

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q154/8/53.asp
http://www.movsd.com/masm.htm
http://win32assembly.online.fr/